Welcome to the Ida Grove Public Library!
The Ida Grove Public Library got its start in 1908. The Women's Christian Temperance Union sent out five hundred invitations asking everyone to bring a book or two for the library. They thought this movement would result in the erection down town of a large and suitable building. The ladies of the Civic Club joined forces with W.C.T.U. in opening a public library and reading room in the old Women's Christian Temperance Union Hall just south of the opera house. About $100 was spent in buying new books. The library was kept open two afternoons and evenings a week all winter. From this the library steadily grew and prospered. Expenses of the library were paid by public subscription. Books were donated by the Civic Club and other citizens. The first trustees of the Ida Grove Library were Dr. G.C. Moorehead, Robert Lipton, Mrs. Wm Wilcox, and Alex Hartley. The first Librarian was Mrs. Anna Moorehead Goodrich.
In 1910, the city council leased the east room of the city building upstairs to the library association. The association payed $1 a year rent and paid for heat, light, water and necessary repairs during the existence of this lease.
In 1921, 6159 books were loaned out, more than half of which were juvenile books. In 1922 the library trustees met with the city council to discuss the library situation. The council voted to submit the vote to the people as follows: "Shall the city of Ida Grove accept the present library as a free public library, the same to be maintained by the said city as provided in sections 727 & 732 of the 1913 supplement to the Code of Iowa?"
In 1922 circulation was free to the public after the city voted a one and one-fourth mills tax for library support. In 1937 the library had 4904 books. In the Spring of 1978, the public library moved to it's present location on second street.
Today the library offers books on CD, DVD's, video's, magazines, newspapers, large print and regular print books. The library has 5 public computer stations.